Five volunteers at the Lynnwood Library are each about to receive a national award for their efforts.
The President’s Volunteer Service Award will be presented April 22 to Kristen Macaluso, Hedy Shiu, Bryan Beecken, Bonnie Gerken and Jean Minsky. A ceremony will take place at the Sno-Isle Libraries Service Center in Marysville to honor the five and 31 other Sno-Isle Libraries volunteers.
The award honors those who achieve the required number of hours of volunteer service over a year or cumulative hours over a lifetime. The award recognizes milestones of service achievement and includes bronze, silver and gold levels for annual service. The President’s Lifetime Achievement Award is for those who contribute more than 4,000 hours of service in their lifetime.
“Nearly 700 people give their time and talent toward the mission of Sno-Isle Libraries,” Executive Director Jonalyn Woolf-Ivory said. “Each of our volunteers helps the 22 community libraries better serve the customers and their communities.”
Macaluso qualified for a silver-level award. She volunteers at both the Lynnwood and Mukilteo libraries. Starting in 2014 at Mukilteo, she in assists with the stuffed animal sleepover program and shelving items placed on hold by customers. Since December, 2015, she has been helping in Lynnwood on various programs such as the Best Book I Ever Read, pulls items requested by other libraries and gets the library ready to open on Tuesday and Friday mornings
For Shiu, this is her seventh consecutive president’s award and reached the silver level this year. She has been volunteering with the Lynnwood Library since 2005, helping with many programs and just about every task volunteers are asked to perform. She’s labeled all the plants in the library, hung posters for the Best Book I Ever Read contest as well as volunteered for the event. Shiu was also nominated for the Governor’s Volunteer Service Award this year.
Beecken has been volunteering at Lynnwood since the summer of 2012, helping out twice a week and keeping the library’s nearly 200 magazines in order. A bronze-level recipient, this is his fourth consecutive president’s award.
Gerken retired from Sno-Isle Libraries in 2009 and began volunteering that same year. She assists with many library programs, tasks and maintains bulletin boards and display cases. This is her seventh consecutive president’s award and she was nominated for the Governor’s Volunteer Service Award this year.
Minsky is a longtime customer of the Lynnwood Library and started volunteering with in 2011. She devotes a several hours each Thursday to assisting the library staff with getting media and periodicals out quickly to the customers. This is be Minsky’s sixth consecutive president’s award.
Honorees receive a commemorative pin, certificate and letter signed by the President of the United States. In addition, five of the 36 presidential award recipients were also nominated for the Governor’s Volunteer Service Award. Another five volunteers were also nominated for the governor’s award.
Rep. Rick Larsen (D-2) said he supports the volunteers, their efforts and the award program.
“I commend the volunteers receiving the President’s Volunteer Service Award,” said Larsen. “I hope their exceptional service encourages more folks to get involved with their local libraries and give back to their communities.”
All 2017 award recipients, nominees and the location they work are:
- Linda Patterson* Mountlake Terrace Library
- Kristen Macaluso Lynnwood Library
- Hedy Shiu* Lynnwood Library
- Anthony Le Mountlake Terrace Library
- David Benjamin Ochoa Mountlake Terrace Library
- Andrea Vernon* Service Center
- Dan Clark Camano Island Library
- Helen Kinsella Coupeville Library
- Kelly Smith Edmonds Library
- Shirley Vanderbilt Edmonds Library
- Gail Lajo Freeland Library
- Bryan Beecken Lynnwood Library
- Bonnie Gerken* Lynnwood Library
- Jean Minsky Lynnwood Library
- Trish Motyl-Hruby Mill Creek Library
- Chris Cannon Mountlake Terrace Library
- Kevin Kleinecke Mountlake Terrace Library
- Linda McCann Mountlake Terrace Library
- Richard McGee Mountlake Terrace Library
- Elizabeth Coxen Monroe Library
- Bonnie Drake Monroe Library
- Michael Gantala Monroe Library
- Amber Helman Monroe Library
- Deborah Kyle Monroe Library
- Randi Grossman Mukilteo Library
- Huey-Jong (Amy) Liaw Mukilteo Library
- David Wachob Mukilteo Library
- Lillian VanWey Oak Harbor Library
- Frances Ball Service Center
- Jeffrey DePue Service Center
- Denise Nordland Service Center
- Lyric Crane* Snohomish Library
- Laura Lewis Stanwood Library
- Shirley Snavely Stanwood Library
- Samantha Sommers Stanwood Library
- Teri Towle Stanwood Library
*Governor’s Service Award nominee
Governor’s Service Award nominees
- George Winters, Darrington Library
- Bridget Wisniewski, Darrington Library
- Sue Norman, Oak Harbor Library
- Zach Furney, Service Center
- Emily McLaughlin Sta. Maria, Edmonds Library