The Lynnwood Police Department is now accepting applications for its 27th Annual Citizens Academy.
Courses will occur over a 14-week period starting on Jan. 11, 2018. Citizens Academy is a unique learning experience conducted by the police department and designed to give citizens a better understanding of the mission, values and operations of the police department.
During this interactive course participants will be introduced to the basic information that all police officers must know to perform their jobs, including patrol tactics, criminal and narcotics investigations, use of force, communications, DUI procedures, and domestic violence to name just a few.
This is a great opportunity for those interested in the fascinating field of criminal justice, current trends in criminal activity, personal safety, crime prevention and volunteering with LPD.
The course is from 6:30-9:30 p.m. every Thursday starting on Jan. 11, 2018 at the Lynnwood Senior Center, 19000 44th Ave. W.
CLASS ACTIVITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Get the inside scoop on the work of Patrol and Traffic Officers
- Empower yourself with Crime Prevention strategies
- Watch a fascinating K-9 Demonstration
- Expand your knowledge of Narcotics trends
- Explore our robust Volunteer Programs
- Investigate a mock crime scene with an Introduction to Investigations
- Try your hand at lifting finger prints in our Crime Scene Lab
- Visit the Detention Center
- Learn about your regional SWAT Team
- Get a better understanding of Officer Safety and Use of Force
- Ride along with a Patrol Officer during a shift
This class is free. Light refreshments are served. Space is limited, so early enrollment is strongly encouraged. A limited number of seats will be awarded to high school seniors who apply.
An application form is located online at: www.LynnwoodWA.gov/
If you have questions contact the Crime Prevention Office at 425-670-5635, or email Lisa Wellington, Crime Prevention Specialist at LWellington@LynnwoodWa.gov.