Man seriously hurt in house fire

A man in his 30s was seriously hurt in a house fire on Sunday night.

The fire was reported around 7 p.m. in the 300 block of 140th St. SW north of Martha Lake.

“Firefighters responding to the call could see smoke from the fire from several blocks away. As they arrived, they could see large flames coming from the house located at the end of a long driveway,” said Leslie Hynes, spokesperson for Fire District 1.

The man hurt in the fire was at a neighbor’s house when crews arrived. Medics took him to Harborview Medical Center. No one else was injured.

Firefighters from Fire Districts 1 and 7 had the fire under control within about 20 minutes, but remained on the scene for several hours to watch for hot spots.

The fire caused $275,000 damage and left the house uninhabitable. It’s not known if the residents have renter’s insurance.

Investigators say it started in the kitchen when the resident fell asleep while food was left cooking on the stove.

Officials say cooking fires are the number one cause of house fires.

[mappress mapid=”40”]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.