House fire blamed on an electrical short

[mappress mapid=”35″]

A fire that caused $150,000 in damage to a Lynnwood home is being blamed on an electric short.

It started just before 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 6100 block of 180th Street SW. Investigators say there was a short in some ungrounded extension cords in the garage workshop. Flames then spread to a bedroom directly above the garage.

Three adults and a 13-year-old boy were home at the time. The mother and boy, who were sleeping, were awakened by smoke alarms and escaped. The father and a friend tried to put out the fire with a garden hose. The father received some minor first-degree burns and smoke inhalation.

Nearly two dozen crews from Lynnwod, Mukilteo and Fire District 1 arrived to fight the fire.  A lot of combustible material in the garage made it difficult to access. They stopped the flames from spreading to the attic.

The house sustained about $75,000 in damage with an equal amount of damage to the contents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.