Child playing with a lighter starts house fire

[mappress mapid=”27″]

A fire at a home east of Lynnwood this afternoon is being blamed on a child playing with a lighter.

The fire in the 2400 block of 199th Place SW caused more than $60,000 in damage and displaced a family of four. A woman and her 7-year-old son were home when it started. Both got out safely.

Smoke and flames were visible from an upper story bedroom when crews arrived. Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood Fire had the flames under control in about 15 minutes.

The fire was contained to one bedroom, but heavy smoke damage throughout the second floor left the home uninhabitable. The Red Cross is helping the family find shelter.

An investigation by the Fire Marshal’s office determined the fire was started when the boy was playing with a lighter in the back bedroom.

“It’s best to store matches and lighters out of children’s reach and sight, up high, preferably in a locked cabinet,” Fire District 1 Spokesperson Leslie Hynes said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.