Sisters escape house fire in unincorporated Lynnwood

[mappress mapid=”47″]

Two sisters safely escaped a house fire east of Lynnwood after hearing the smoke alarm.

The oldest girl, a teenager, reported the fire about 2 p.m. on Saturday at their two-story home in the 18900 block of 20th Place West.

Smoke and flames were coming from the back of the house when firefighters arrived. Crews from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood Fire quickly had the fire under control. No one was hurt.

“Both girls were unaware of the fire until smoke alarm sounded. It gave them the warning they needed to get out safely,” Fire District 1 spokesperson Leslie Hynes said. “If you didn’t change your smoke alarm battery last week when you changed your clock to Daylight Saving Time, now is good time to do so.”

The Fire Marshal’s office determined the fire was most likely started by a malfunctioning hair dryer in the master bathroom. It was contained to the master bedroom and bathroom, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the second floor.

The fire displaced the family of five but they are insured. Damaged is estimated at $60,000.

    1. Unincorporated Lynnwood means it has a Lynnwood mailing address but is not technically within the city limits.

      Mike Murphy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.