Twenty-four city employees were notified this week that they will be losing their jobs at the end of the month.
The final layoff notices went out after the City Council approved a new two-year budget on Monday. The cuts were across several departments:
- Administrative Services – 2 positions (mail room assistant and financial analyst)
- Community Development – 2 positions (permit tech and senior planner)
- Court – 1 position (probation assistant)
- Parks and Rec – 9 positions (2 clerks, 2 recreation coordinators, 1 recreation leader and 4 recreation specialists)
- Police Department – 3 positions (1 police cadet and 2 police clerks)
- Public Works – 7 positions (1 civil engineer, 4 custodians, 1 mechanic and 1 project manager)
Another seven vacant positions will be eliminated.
The number of layoffs is far lower than originally anticipated. In September the city notified more than 100 employees, about a quarter the staff, that they could be laid off on Dec. 31. Most of those notices were rescinded this week.