Community Transit plans to add new bus service this fall as a result of improving sales tax revenue. Many of the changes proposed by the agency involve routes to, from and around Lynnwood.
Based on input gathered from customers, as well as ridership trends, the agency has submitted a service proposal that provides more mid-day service and more transit connections, restores an all-day, one-seat connection between Mukilteo and the Lynnwood Transit Center, addresses high demand between the Lynnwood Transit Center and Edmonds Community College, and improves efficiency around the Alderwood mall area. The underperforming Route 110 is also proposed for elimination.
Lynnwood Routes affected include Routes 115 and 116, which will be routed off 36th Avenue West and will use Alderwood Mall Parkway. The change will speed up service but cause riders, many of them Edmonds Community College students, to take the new bus (Route 113) to the Lynnwood Transit Center and then transfer to another bus in order to get to the college. Route 113 does not go to Edmonds Community College or Ash Way Park and Ride. Route 113 will connect Mukilteo riders to the Lynnwood Transit Center.
Impacted routes are: Routes 110, 113, 115, 116, 120, 130, 201 and 202.
The public is encouraged to provide feedback to Community Transit on the proposed changes.
Here are the proposed Fall 2014 service changes:
Provide more mid-day service and better connections.
- Route 130: Improve mid-day service from a bus every 60 minutes to a bus every 30 minutes between Edmonds Station and Lynnwood Transit Center (LTC) via Aurora Village and Mountlake Terrace.
- Routes 201 & 202: Restore combined 15-minute frequency throughout the day between Smokey Point Transit Center and LTC via Marysville, Everett, Mariner Park & Ride and Ash Way Park & Ride. This increased frequency adds 23 daily trips and would improve connections with east/west routes, especially in the north and east county.
Restore connection between Mukilteo and Lynnwood Transit Center.
- Route 113: Extend route to LTC via the west side of Alderwood mall along 36th/33rd, Alderwood Mall Blvd. and 200th. Route 113 would no longer serve 164th and the Ash Way Park & Ride. Service east of the mall would be covered by revised Routes 115 & 116. (See Proposed Route 113 map)
Address high demand between Lynnwood Transit Center and Edmonds Community College.
- Route 120: Extend route to Edmonds Community College and add two afternoon trips. This would increase the number of buses available to meet high demand between LTC and Edmonds Community College. (See Proposed Route 120 map)
Improve efficiency around Alderwood Mall.
- Routes 115 & 116: Realign route between Ash Way P&R and LTC to operate on Alderwood Mall Parkway and Blvd. (east side of mall) rather than on 164th/36th/33rd (west side of mall). The west side of the mall would be served by revised Route 113. Routes 115 & 116 would no longer serve Swamp Creek Park & Ride. See Proposed Route 115 & Route 116 maps)
- Routes 201 & 202: Realign routes between Ash Way P&R and LTC to operate on I-5 rather than on 164th/Alderwood Mall Parkway and Blvd. Passengers who wish to travel to the mall would be able to use revised Routes 115 & 116. (See Proposed Routes 201 & 202 map)
Improve efficiency by redeploying underutilized service.
- Route 110: Due to low ridership, Route 110 would be eliminated and these hours would be redeployed to add service mentioned above. Route 119 still serves 220th between Mountlake Terrace Transit Center and Highway 99, and Route 116 serves the area near Edmonds Station. A section of the Route 110 routing between 76th and Main Street west of Hwy 99 would not have bus service. There are very few boardings in this area now. (See Proposed Route 110 map)
Public comment on this service proposal will be taken through May 2. Comments can be sent to servicechangecommtrans.org, by calling 425-353-RIDE (7433), or by sending a letter to Community Transit, 7100 Hardeson Rd, Everett 98203.
A public hearing on this proposal will take place before the Community Transit Board of Directors at 3 p.m. Thursday, May 1 at Community Transit headquarters, 7100 Hardeson Rd. in Everett (accessible by Everett Transit Route 8).
Community Transit staff will be available at the following locations to answer questions about the Proposed Fall 2014 Service Change:
- Lynnwood Transit Center, 9 a.m.–12 p.m. & 1 – 4 p.m., Tuesday, April 15
- Edmonds Community College, 1–5 p.m., Thursday, April 17
- Ash Way Park & Ride, 2–6 p.m., Tuesday, April 29