Lynnwood Fire Department warns of carbon monoxide poisoning

As the weather turns colder, Lynnwood Fire officials are issuing a warning about dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We already know this is going to be a difficult winter. Experts are warning that this isn’t the last time the temperatures will drop and we will have more snow this winter,” fire spokesperson Cathy Rizzo said. “In light of those anticipated increases, it is expected that some people will search for alternative heating sources. It is important to spread the word on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Last Thanksgiving, more than a dozen people were sickened at a Lynnwood apartment when they were using BBQ briquettes in the fireplace and didn’t open the damper.

Officials offer these tips:

  • Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
  • The primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
  • If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door.
  • Call for help from the fresh air location and remain outside the location until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.