Duplex fire caused by hot plate

A fire at a duplex north of Lynnwood Friday afternoon caused more than $120,000 damage.

Neighbors called 911 around 12:15 p.m. to report flames coming from the back deck of the two-story duplex in the 15800 block of 52nd  Ave. W. By the time firefighters got there it had spread to the attic.

No one was home in either unit and there were no injuries. Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood had the fire under control within 20 minutes.

The fire left one unit of the duplex uninhabitable. Red Cross is assisting the residents, a married couple. They own the duplex and have insurance. The other duplex unit was not damaged.

An investigator from the Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was started on the back deck by an electric hot-plate that had been left on.

[mappress mapid=”62″]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.