Fire in Lynnwood restaurant sparked after gas line broke

Screenshot (315)
The fire was contained to the stove and allowed to burn. (Photo courtesy Lynnwood Fire)

A fire ignited in a commercial kitchen after a gas line broke at Talay Thai Restaurant in the 4500 block of 200th Street Southwest on Wednesday afternoon around 12:30 p.m.

The restaurant where the fire broke out was occupied at the time. It was successfully evacuated without injuries.

Lynnwood Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the stove. Firefighters allowed the gas to burn until the gas meter was shut off.

“This prevented an accumulation of unburned gas in the enclosed building which creates an explosion hazard, and reduced the need for water or fire extinguishers, which would cause additional damage and health concerns for the restaurant,” Lynnwood Fire Chief Scott Cockrum said. “This action will allow the restaurant to open for business sooner.”

The incident was a single alarm fire with 18 firefighters responding from Lynnwood and Fire District 1 departments.

Damage is estimated at $1,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.