The American Heart Association brings its Go Red campaign to the center court at Alderwood mall on Feb. 2.
Among the activities scheduled are a Macy’s fashion show, hands-only CPR and mini-massage. The event also features educational materials on the keys to a healthy heart along with other fun activities, resources and tips.
All ages are encouraged to attend this free event from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
For 10 years, Go Red For Women has worked to raise awareness about heart disease as the leading killer of women, and gain equal support for women in the study, prevention and treatment of heart disease. Here are some facts that may surprise you:
- The women we care for most – our mothers, sisters and friends – are dying at the rate of one per minute because they don’t know that heart disease is their No. 1 killer.
- 1 in 3 American women dies of heart disease, compared to 1 in 30 women that die of breast cancer.
- Eighty percent of cardiac events in women may be prevented if they make the right choices for their hearts, involving diet, exercise and abstinence from smoking.
- Women are less likely to seek treatment, less likely to receive needed therapies, and more likely to be charged higher health care premiums than men.
- Historically, heart disease research and treatment have focused on men.
To learn more, call 206-632-6881 or visit PugetSoundGoesRed.org.