Lynnwood’s Heritage Park hosts an Open House event on Saturday, June 6 from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. and again on the first Saturday of July, August and September.
The park, located east of I-5 at the SE corner of Poplar Way and Alderwood Mall Parkway, is a cultural, heritage and visitor resource. The open house events offer a unique opportunity for park visitors to tour the various historical structures including Interurban Car 55 that have been preserved at the park.
Open House activities include:
- Tour guides, Jeanne and Gary Rogers, will entertain visitors with tales of Car 55, one of six Interurban trolleys that ran between Seattle and Everett from 1910 to 1939. Jeanne grew up in a railroading family; her father, Walter Shannon, was an Interurban motorman.
- Docents from the Alderwood Manor Heritage Association will be available to provide guided tours of the exhibits currently on display in the Superintendent’s Cottage and at the Wickers Building Museum.
- Bundt cake provided by Nothing Bundt Cakes will be served at the Snohomish County Tourism Bureau’s Visitor Information Center where you can walk through the historic Wickers Building Museum and view the City of Lynnwood Historic Timeline exhibit.
- Visitors are invited to take a peek into their personal genealogical history at Humble House with the assistance of the Sno-Isle Genealogical Society.
The centerpiece of the park is Interurban Car 55, a static display representing Lynnwood’s transportation heritage. Car 55 is one of six Interurban electric rail cars that provided commuter service from Alderwood Manor to Seattle and Everett from 1910 to 1939. The Interurban was key to the development of Alderwood Manor. City folks traveled to this area by the Interurban and were encouraged by the Puget Mill Company to purchase 5-acre tracts of logged-off land and learn how to raise poultry for profit.
After the demise of the Interurban in 1939, Car 55 was retired, serving as a diner for several years and later as a ticket office for the Snoqualmie Valley Railroad. The City purchased the deteriorated trolley in 1993 and began its restoration with a federal grant. Contributions can be made to the “Car 55 Project” to complete the trolley’s restoration.
In 1919, the Wickers Building was the first grocery store and post office on North Trunk Road in Alderwood Manor (now 196th Street SW in Lynnwood), and a familiar landmark half-way between Seattle and Everett to passengers on the Interurban. The exterior of the Tudor Revival-style building has been carefully restored preserving its distinctive features. The Wickers Building is now a museum and home to the South Snohomish County Visitor Information Center.
The superintendent’s cottage and water tower are the last remaining structures from the 1917 Demonstration Farm. The cottage has been renovated by the Alderwood Manor Heritage Association and is a community heritage resource center. Future plans are to rehabilitate the water tower as a functioning water tower to provide irrigation for planned demonstration gardens.
For more information on Heritage Park, visit: www.ci.lynnwood.wa.us/PlayLynnwood/Parks/Heritage-Park.htm