A small fire in a home near Meadowdale Beach Park could have been much worse if not for some alert teenagers and a little luck.
The fire started about 4 p.m. today in the 5800 block of 152nd Street SW.
“Two teenagers were in the home at the time. They noticed smoke and ran down to the bedroom,” Fire District 1 spokesperson Leslie Hynes told us. “A candle was left unattended on a shelf, and there were some combustibles on the shelf that caught fire.”
The teens put out the flames with a bucket of water before firefighters arrived.
Hynes said the battery was missing from the smoke alarm.
“It’s a reminder for people to keep their smoke alarms in working order. If these guys were asleep it might been different,” Hynes said.