Lynnwood police blotter: May 7-11

May 7
A dog bite was reported in the 19300 block of 44th Avenue West. The victim does not want to press charges.

A vehicle prowl was reported in the 18400 block of 33rd Avenue West.

Mail theft was reported in the 5200 block of 176th Street Southwest. The victim said he placed his PUD bill in the mailbox with a check. Later, his PUD bill was missing from the box but the flag position was still in the up position and his mail for the day had not arrived.

May 8
A damaged vehicle was reported in the 3000 block of 184th Street Southwest. The vehicles owner returned to her vehicle and found a long, deep scratch down one side of it. She said she didn’t know why or who would do this. She said she had not been involved in any confrontation with anyone.

An officer spotted a vehicle that had driven away from another officer earlier in the day. The driver matched the description of the driver from earlier that day. The vehicle was spotted in the 20400 block of 44th Avenue West. When she noticed the officer behind her, she sped up to about 40 miles per hour in a 30 mile-per-hour zone. She then made a right turn without stopping and accelerated quickly. She ran a red light going about 60 miles per hour. She then went about 70 miles per hour in a 25 mile-per-hour zone. The pursuit was terminated at that point. The vehicle was then seen driving on the wrong wide of the road and running a stop sign before the officer lost sight of it. The offer went to the suspect’s house to see if she would come home. She did not. The woman has several warrants out for her arrest from several agencies all over Washington.

May 9
A shoplifter was reported in the 18400 block of Alderwood Mall Parkway.

A fraud in progress was reported in the 2500 block of 196th Street Southwest. A store employee reported a man tried to use a fake $100 bill to pay for goods. The man ran away after the employee noticed it was fake, but left the fake bill behind. The man did not take any merchandise and was not located. The bill was much thinner than normal paper bills. It was logged and placed into evidence.

A woman was booked into the Lynnwood Jail for taking $818.05 worth of merchandise from a store in the 4600 block of 196th Street Southwest without paying for it.

May 10
A woman approached Lynnwood Police officers to explain a suspicious circumstance. The week before, a friend of hers was contacted by a man who works at a gym in the 19800 block of Highway 99 regarding her 17-year-old son. The man said he wanted to photograph her son because he was a photographer who was passionate about taking pictures of children. He said he works as a doctor at Swedish Edmonds but has an interest in photography. He brought some photos he said he had taken of children, mostly under the age of 13. The woman reporting the incident described it as “very creepy.”

A burglary in progress was reported in the 18600 block of 68th Avenue West. A woman said she saw a figure in her upstairs bedroom. No one else should be inside. When officers arrived they did not find anyone. All doors and windows were secure. Nothing was missing or out of place.

A vehicle theft was reported in the 6500 block of 208th Street Southwest.

An apparently abandoned vehicle was towed from the 18400 block of 52nd Avenue West. It had been marked and cited on May 5 and had not moved since then. The owner could not be contacted.

A trespass in progress was reported in the 5600 block of Scriber Lake Road. The suspect was arrested and taken to Lynnwood Jail.

May 11
A man brought found property to the Lynnwood Police Department. He found a brief case containing a piece of mail, a possible hard drive and a smashed up iPad in the 3600 block of 196th Street Southwest. The briefcase appeared to have been run over.

A sexual assault was reported at Edmonds Community College. Campus security had a woman with them complaining about a man harassing her and eventually hugging her and grabbing her buttocks. The woman said she was scared and didn’t know what to do when the man approached her in the hallway of Brier Hall. He spoke to her, saying she was “cute,” “a young baby,” “girly” and asked her what she thought of him. She gave him her number because she said she thought he would go away. He then gave her a hug and touched her buttocks. At first, she wanted to file charges, but she changed her mind as she spoke to officers. No charges will be filed.

An apparently abandoned vehicle was towed from the 18400 block of 52nd Avenue West. It had been marked and cited on May 5 and has not moved since then. The owner could not be contacted.

A dog was locked in a car and distressed was reported in the 18100 block of 33rd Avenue West. An officer arrived and saw the dog, a white Pomeranian, panting heavily and jumping back and forth in the back seat. All four windows were cracked open about two inches. Several sealed bottles of water were in the car, but no water was available for the dog. It was 73 degrees outside, and using an infrared thermometer, the officer determined it was 92 degrees in a shaded floor area of the car and between 98 and 100 degrees in the area just above the partially opened window. There was little to no breeze available for the dog, so the officer unlocked the car to remove the dog for its safety. The dog was placed in the officer’s patrol van, where it had access to water and air conditioning. The dog’s owner came out to her vehicle 15 minutes later. She was advised of the temperature of her vehicle. She seemed surprised and did not dispute the actions of the officer. She was cited and the dog was returned to her.

As the officer removed the dog from a vehicle in the 18100 block of 33rd Avenue West, described above, a store employee approached the officer and asked what he was doing. After the officer explained he was removing a dog in distress from the car, the employee told him about another dog in distress about 100 feet away. A Dachshund was running around inside the car hopping from the front seat to the back seat and back, barking and crying. The car was black and had tinted windows. The windows were open about an inch or less. An infrared thermometer showed it was 105 degrees inside. As the officer was preparing to unlock the car, the dog’s owner approached the vehicle. He was instructed to remove the dog and get the dog water. He said he was inside for “just a few minutes,” though at least 20 minutes had passed since the officer arrived on the scene of the other dog in distress call described above. The officer showed him the infrared thermometer reading and the dog’s owner did not dispute the officer’s actions. He was cited.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.