Marijuana grow light causes fire in duplex

firedistrict1_logo1The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office has determined that a marijuana grow light was the cause of a fire in a duplex located in the 13600 block of 26th Place West, north of Lynnwood.

Fire department personnel were dispatched at 5:14 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25 to investigate the smell of smoke in the duplex. The crew discovered smoke in the crawl space and asked for a residential fire response, which sent more fire units.

Crews extinguished a fire burning between the first floor and crawl space. Fire damage was contained to the crawl space. There was some smoke damage in a couple rooms, but the units are still inhabitable.

The grow lamp was left on the carpet, according to the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office. The light was on a timer and cycled on and off – the smoldering carpet eventually ignited the flooring below. Damage is estimated at $40,000. There were no injuries reported.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.