Unattended candle sparks a fire in a duplex near Lynnwood

[mappress mapid=”26″]

A candle started a fire last night that caused more than $35,000 damage to a duplex just south of the Lynnwood/Mountlake Terrace border.

A neighbor called 9-1-1 around 8:45 p.m. to report the fire in the 21200 block of 58th Ave. W. The neighbor then pounded on the doors of both duplex units. No one was home in the unit that was on fire, but the knocking woke a couple and a young child in the adjoining unit. They safely escaped and no one was hurt.

Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood Fire responded and had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. “They made a quick attack and contained the flames to the bedroom where the fire started,” Fire Distrct 1 Spokesperson Leslie Hynes said.

The bedroom was heavily damaged by flames and the rest of the unit sustained significant smoke damage. Support 7 and Red Cross responded to assist the two men who rented the unit. They did not have insurance. The neighboring unit of the duplex was not damaged.

Investigators determined the fire was most likely started by a candle that was too close to combustibles in the bedroom.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.