This happened in Edmonds, but it’s a good reminder for all parents.
A toddler fell from a second-floor window at an Edmonds apartment this afternoon. Firefighters were called to the apartment in the 23000 block of Edmonds Way just before 5 p.m.
“The 3-year-old had been on a sofa near an open window with a screen. Somehow the screen gave way and the boy fell about 12 feet onto the asphalt parking lot,” said Leslie Hynes, spokesperson for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
“The child in this case was very fortunate. He was conscious and alert when medics arrived. They transported him to Harborview Medical Center as a precaution,” Hynes said.
She urged parents of young children to be aware of the dangers open windows can pose. “Screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep kids in. They can’t support the weight of even a small child,” Hynes said.